When the time is right for training, opinions often differ – especially now that the live online courses give you the opportunity to flexibly adapt your workout to your everyday life. Is morning exercise more effective or is it a workout after work? It all depends on your biorhythm and fitness goals.
As a B.A. of sports science, personal trainer Zimo Tam explains the advantages and disadvantages of training units in the early morning, late evening and also the time in between.
It reminds of a never-ending discussion. The question of whether exercise is better in the morning or in the evening is probably never clearly clarified. Because in the end it always depends on the personal preferences of everyone. Also interesting is the question of how it looks with training during lunchtime.
This article should help you to find the optimal training time for you, so that you can enjoy the training and at the same time achieve the best possible results. If you would like more tips on bodyweight training, a balanced diet and motivation, I cordially invite you to visit my fitness blog.
Advantages and disadvantages of morning training
Early bird or night owl? Some of us start our day with a workout right after we get up. Others have difficulty getting going in the morning.
Advantages of morning exercise
- You have already completed an important to-do from your list in the morning and thus increase your motivation for the rest of the day.
- The training in the morning stimulates your circulation and lets you start the day faster and more energetic.
- Exercise in the morning quickly becomes a fixed routine.
- There is less in the morning what could prevent or distract you from exercising.
- Exercising in the morning and on an empty stomach ensures that your body learns to extract energy more effectively from fat.
Disadvantages of morning exercise
- In the morning you will normally not quite reach your top athletic performance.
- Time pressure because you have to go to work right away.
- Less sporty choice than in the afternoon.
Conclusion on sport in the morning
Basically, the sporting activity has to fit your daily routine. Habits can be changed and your natural biorhythm can also adjust to a changed daily routine over time.
To find out how well a morning workout is affecting you, you should exercise regularly in the morning for at least 2 weeks. Listen to your body for how you are doing. Also vary whether you can exercise better on an empty stomach or after a small breakfast.
Also find out whether exercise in the morning fits into your morning routine at all or whether it just makes you feel tired and exhausted for the rest of the day.
Advantages and disadvantages of training in the evening
For all those who need their sleep in the morning and don’t get going, it’s worth doing sports in the evening. Here, too, there are some advantages and disadvantages that should be considered:
Advantages of training in the evening
- Perfect for quickly relieving stress and calming down.
- Large range of sports in the late afternoon and early evening.
- Most people are better at their top athletic performance in the afternoon and evening
Disadvantages of training in the evening
- Those who work long hours often perceive sport as additional stress in the evening.
- Training sessions shortly before bed can have a negative effect on your sleep.
- It comes in the evening It is quicker to imagine that you would rather pursue another activity.
- It takes a lot of energy to motivate yourself to do a workout again at the end of the day.
Conclusion on sports in the evening
Exercising in the evening can help you to quickly relieve the stress of the day, but it can also lead to further stress if you have already had a long day behind you. However, you will be able to achieve your peak performance earlier in the afternoon than in the morning after getting up.
The training during the lunch break
Training during the lunch break or in the early afternoon should also be an option for you. Here it is also important to find out whether the training fits into your daily routine and your biorhythm.
At noon it is more difficult to achieve top athletic performance, but a moderate yoga class, a relaxed workout or a short endurance run can promote your blood circulation and get you fit for the second half of the day.
Which training time is the best for you?
Which training time is best for you cannot be said across the board. The rule is: Try is better than study and always observe how your body and mind react to it. If after exercising in the morning you just feel tired for the rest of the day, you are probably not an early riser. Maybe going to bed earlier will help.
If you have trouble falling asleep in the evening after your workout, you should try to do the training session earlier in the day or even move it to the morning.
Many people tend to do quiet sports in the morning, such as running, swimming or yoga – the same applies to the lunch break. Most people are better able to do intense training sessions in the early evening. Workouts that are too late in turn lead to poor sleep for many people.
Whether in the morning or in the evening: For that extra kick of fun and variety, just take a look at our live online courses. Here you will find thousands of courses from hundreds of partner locations in your city, your country and across Europe. Numerous activities await you, such as yoga, HIIT, dancing, Pilates, meditation and even barre.